Captain Don't F*%# With Me


4/16/24

Nolan presented this to me this morning.  His first FCS sewing project.  I love FCS.  First cooking, now this!  I'm not sure if his intention was that it would become my mascot....BUT it's going to be my mascot.  A high school friend used AI to come up with Captain Boobie Saver.  I just asked ChatGPT and it said:

    "How about "Aria Courage"? It combines strength and bravery with a melody that suggests resilience and harmony amidst the challenges she faces."

Kind of creepy how accurate Chat GPT nailed me. Mom suggested Captain Don't F*%# With Me. Gasp! I've never heard THAT word! I can't believe it came out of her mouth!😂 Anyway, that's what's sticking right now.

This morning I started at Imaging for an MRI.  It was the emptiest I've seen the waiting room and I got right in!  Leading up to this appointment I was asked several times if I was claustrophobic.  If I were trapped in a elevator full of people, yes.  Face down in a tube by myself, no.  They gave me a warm blanket, an IV, put in foam earplugs and positioned me facedown on the bed.  Graphic detail alert: My breasts hung into large square compartments. They raised the bed and into the tube I went.  Mom said MRIs remind her of an Orff Ensemble.  I would say Techno Music Club (not that I've experienced that), meets Mario Brothers, meets Orff Ensemble. It was loud, but I felt like I could completely relax...except for that itch on my left boob, then my right eyebrow, then my nose, then my back started to hurt, then my breast bone started hurt, but other than that, completely relaxed.  Toward the end they added contrast to the IV that she said would light up the tumor.  She said it might make my arm cold or give me a funny taste in my mouth.  It did neither.  

I treated myself with Starbucks and a Target run.  Mother's Day and Graduation Cards, body wash, new pjs for Nolan, aluminum free deodorant, and a new water bottle.  For those of you who sit next to me in meetings, you will surely miss the squeal of my water bottle.  I'm sorry for your loss.

Dad went with me to my Genetic Counseling appointment at 1.  I invited him because I thought the biology of it would interest him.  Elizabeth, my Genetic Counselor, had my family tree in front of her and a LOT of information.  The family member she was most interested in was Grandpa Max (mom's dad).  He died of a Nerve Sheath Tumor in 1996.  Apparently that's pretty rare, and pretty bad.  There IS a gene called Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (NF1).  This is not on the breast cancer stat test, but the counselor is going to push for it to be added.  IF my grandpa had this gene, my mom would have a 50% chance of having the gene.  IF my mom has the gene, I would have a 25% chance of having the gene.  Moral of the story.  Let's hope I don't have the gene!  If I do, she said there's an excellent department at the University of Iowa who specialize in NF1.  Go Hawks! A positive result may or may not impact my current diagnosis. 

The stat panel will include 9 different breast cancer genes and should be ready in 7-12 days.  WE WANT NEGATIVE RESULTS ON ALLLLL THE GENES!  She asked if I would like them to also test for all the other cancer genes after the stat panel.  I said yes.  Gulp.  Knowledge is power....I hope.  

I had them do a blood draw as that will also test some RNA thing that the saliva sample doesn't test.  The appointment was long, I don't know if dad thought it was as interesting as I thought he would, but they definitely talked a little over my head at times, and it was nice to have a buddy.  I didn't know that Iowa is second highest cancer rate in the nation.  Funny how THAT's not on the brochures.

Following the appointment I went home and finally dealt with the "little green frog" that was my unread email, and registered Nolan for 8th grade, and then. I felt. SO. TIRED.  I probably have 1,000 steps today.  Maureen says it's because I have 50,000 mental steps.  Uffda.  That's a lot of steps.  

Tomorrow morning I go to my OBGYN to have my IUD removed.  From what I understand, the IUD releases progesterone and since my cancer is progesterone positive we don't want anything to give it fuel.  

Anyway, if genetics interest you I'm sure I learned more today than I shared in this entry.  Hit me up with questions and I'll do my best, or refer you to my dad.  Even if he doesn't know, he'll pretend he does, or Google. 😍 


Popular posts from this blog

It Takes a VILLIAGE

FAQ 1

The Day Everything Changed