Occupational Therapy Day

Up until this point in my life I had only experienced physical therapists.  They were always gentle and kind.  Today I had my first occupational therapy appointment.  Kendyl was also so gentle and kind!  If the word therapy is in your title you must be a good human!  She's also the friend of one of my Brookview buddies, which was a fun small world connection!  (One everyone wants as they whip out their giant 41 year old not-quite-Franken-boob....I digress.)

My range of motion is really good, I feel really good, I haven't noticed swelling that I'm aware of, so I wasn't really sure what OT would mean for me.  Katzmann schedules everyone who has breast surgery an OT appointment for after.  I'm told not everywhere does that, and instead of being proactive, many people are sent for OT in a reactive manner.  I will also see Kendyl a few weeks after I finish radiation.

Today I learned a lot about my lymphatic system and Lymphedema, and I have more to learn and read.  Lymphedema is swelling caused by an abnormal accumulation of lymph fluid and can impact anyone who has had any lymph nodes removed.  Some people have it who have had one removed, some people who have had 40 removed aren't impacted at all.  Some people notice things right away, others many years down the road.

I am to avoid trauma and injury to my right arm to reduce infection risk.  This includes having my blood pressure, blood draws, and vaccinations done only on the left side from here on out, if possible.  I've ordered new snazzy medical alert bracelets to help me/medical professionals remember.  Since I'm left handed, I almost always offer my right arm first.  

Kendyl also wrote me a prescription for a lymphedema sleeve to be worn during strenuous activity (don't laugh), and air travel.  Get ready Jordan, Amanda and Linda....I am hoping I can find a sleeve that rivals yours and is far less painful.😘

The exercises I was given started with diaphragmatic breathing, she said that, then laughed, "you probably know all about breathing from your diaphragm."  (It's a singer thing.) Yes, I do, but I DIDN'T know that it's the #1 way to move my lymphatic system.  She added in some arm exercises with door frames, some massage to allow lymphatic flow and scar massage for later on.  The hardness I'm feeling on my armpit incision and one of my biopsy sites is just scar tissue.

It was such an interesting appointment, and seems like a cool job!  Now to follow through with my assignments...admittedly I've not always been the best patient when it comes to rehab...

Nolan and I also met Jason for lunch, shoe shopped (for Nolan) and visited the new Lego store!  Luckily they didn't have either set we fell in love with so we saved a bunch of money...for now.

Perhaps the day's most exciting development was our evening parenting win...please don't judge too harshly.  Jason and I were in the middle of a Ted Lasso when Nolan returned from gaming in the basement...so we switched him spots and continued our show.  Eventually the basement door opened and Nolan asked to go to a friend's house.  "Sure, do you want supper before you go?"  "I already ate, I just heated up my leftovers."  We (I) have 100% enabled dependent behavior, and I'm mostly not sorry about it...BUT tonight felt like sweet sweet success after 13 years of parenting "bliss."  We have arrived. 

Oh!  Garfield!  Nolan and I went yesterday!  LOVED IT!  It made me think of Mrs. Blatti.  I wonder if she REALLY loved Garfield or she said that once and then her 3rd grade students took it and ran.  I still tell people that 3rd grade was my favorite year in school, thanks to Mrs. Blatti.  What did we learn?  No idea, but I sure felt loved and valued that year.  

I feel like I need to see the movie again because I didn't realize that the goofy sidekick dog was named Nolan until the end.  Pardon my poor selfie technique.





Popular posts from this blog

It Takes a VILLIAGE

FAQ 1

The Day Everything Changed