Sisterhood

 Today was a weird day.  Since my diagnosis almost 6 months ago, 3 of my friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Hearing of their diagnosis', definitely hit different than it did BC (before cancer).  I've learned that while every diagnosis, story and treatment plan is different, this is certainly a sisterhood.  The survivors before me have been, and continue to be, invaluable to me during my treatment/maintenance, and I've tried to be that to my friends.  Today one of them had a lumpectomy.  I woke up thinking about her, and checked my phone/Facebook for updates on surgery during every free moment I had.

While it allowed me time to reflect on what a yucky experience the waiting must have been for family and friends, I didn't enjoy it!  I dare say it was easier being the patient (on surgery day)than someone concerned about the patient!  

I am SO thankful for my SISTERS who have reached out to me, answered questions, given me REAL stories, things to expect, help, encouragement and love.  I HATE that there has to be a breast cancer sisterhood, but holy cow, I can't imagine doing this without it, even if it means we FEEL a little deeper on days like these.

After school I put on my "Be Fire" shirt, my pink ribbon head band (I'm working on embracing the pink ribbon- as part of the sisterhood- even my bananas had pink ribbon stickers on them)and sweat a TON at rowing.  I was more intentional today, and thoughtful, as I sweat for my friends fighting this battle along side me, and those who've come before me.  I sweat out anger, grief, unfairness, community, gratitude and love, and when I finished, I had a text waiting that said she was home and resting.

Amen. 

Popular posts from this blog

It Takes a VILLIAGE

FAQ 1

The Day Everything Changed