6 Month Cancerversary

6th months ago today was Diagnosis Day.  It's interesting to me how much it feels like life has changed in 6 months.  I'm one of the lucky ones, on the "downhill side" of my diagnosis after "only" 6 months.  I had a lumpectomy, and twenty rounds of radiation, and am now on my "maintenance" medication.  I've felt more love than any other time in my life, and have had an opportunity to reflect on my mortality and what my priorities REALLY are.  (Now, while there have been some silver linings, I wish that diagnosis phone call on NO ONE!)

What am I doing to celebrate today?  Going to school.  Helping at ESOL night.  Eating leftovers.  Being normal!  But, this will be on my mind, I will reflect and be gentle with myself.

To mark the passage of time I also moved my card basket of notes, encouragement and affirmations from the kitchen counter to my bedroom, as well as a stack of recovery coloring and activity books.  I'm not totally ready to pack it all away just yet, but I am ready to move it to a less visible spot.  I think.

Last week I received an amazing pink flamingo mug from the mom of my high school friend, Andrea.  Andrea had breast cancer, too, she got her diagnosis when she was in her 20s and fought her butt off.  Jason and I were able to visit her when we were in Florida a few years ago, shortly before she passed.  Andrea is one of the women I've thought of constantly in the last six months.  I know she would have been cheering for me, and I wish I would have cheered harder for her.  When cardinals visit I think of Andrea, Anne & Maria, my college professors, and my grandparents.  Using the mug Sally sent has felt symbolic this week.  It's a reminder of those who've fought before and encouragement to pay it forward to those who are beginning their battle/journey/adventure/story.  





I feel like the blog has gotten heavier with fewer entries.  I'm not sharing the light stuff because that's more frequent and normal now!  Hooray!  Or maybe I'm less funny?  Writing when things bother me helps me deal with them...so it's GOOD there haven't been many entries.  I did mention to my friends and Reilly that the weeks this fall have felt long.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe after 8 weeks of normal I'm ready for a break...but I don't WANT excitement!

While in the process of writing this I received another pink drink receptacle!  This one's from Becky, full of pink Starburst that surely don't fit into my "macronutrient Iron & Oars challenge."  I stopped after 5....for now.  It's weirdly perfect how these two cups have arrived at this milestone moment for me.  Becky's makes me think of all of the love and support I've received over the last 6 months from best friends, friends, my work family, old friends, acquaintances, fellow survivors, family and beyond.  What a wild ride this is.  Who knew beverage holders could have so much meaning.  Also...this one could be a weapon.  Don't mess with me, breast cancer, and don't mess with my people!



Popular posts from this blog

It Takes a VILLIAGE

FAQ 1

The Day Everything Changed